The new General Data Protection Regulations came into force on 25 May 2018. The Company's Privacy Statement has been updated to comply with the regulations and is set out below.
World Orienteering Championships 2024 is a wholly owned subsidiary of the International Orienteering Federation. The principal activity of the company is the promotion of and assistance in organising orienteering championships.
The World Orienteering Championships 2024 will be a “controller” of the personal information that you provide to us unless otherwise stated.
Participants’ personal data
When you enter one of the The World Orienteering Championships 2024 events, we will ask you for the following personal information:
- Contact details – name, address, date of birth, sex, email address, phone number
- Participation details – age group, orienteering club, national membership number
- Payment details – bank account number, sort code, card details
Volunteers’ personal data
When you volunteer with the The World Orienteering Championships 2024, we will ask you for the following personal information:
- Contact details – name, address, email address, phone number and, in the case of major officials, orienteering experience and qualifications (e.g. controller status, events planned, organised or controlled)
Why we need your personal details – contractual purposes
When you enter one of the The World Orienteering Championships 2024, we need to collect your personal information so that we can honour your entry and to enable you to participate in the event.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need to collect then this may affect our ability to manage your entry.
Why we need your personal details – legitimate purposes
We also process participants’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interest to:
- Promote and encourage participation in orienteering by sending participants communications and entry information for upcoming events. Our events may be filmed or photographed and your personal information may also be used in images captured from our events, which we use for promotional and development purposes.
- Provide competition in orienteering by accepting and managing entries for our competitions and checking your personal information to ensure you are entered into the correct category.
- Monitor and develop participation in orienteering by monitoring participants’ entry details and inviting participants to participate in surveys for research and development purposes.
Where we process your personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interest, you have the right to object to us using your personal information for the above purposes. If you wish to object to any of the above processing, please contact us at email@example.com. If we agree and comply with your objection, this may affect our ability to undertake the tasks above for the benefit of you as a participant.
Who we share your personal information with
If your personal information is included in any images or videos taken by us at our competitions and events, we may share this with the International Orienteering Federation for promotional and/or journalistic purposes.
The World Orienteering Championships 2024 employs third party suppliers to provide services, including IT. These suppliers may process personal information on our behalf as “processors” and are subject to written contractual conditions to only process that personal information under our instructions and protect it.
In the event that we do share personal information with external third parties, we will only share such personal information strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure that recipients shall only process the disclosed personal information in accordance with those purposes.
Participants’ personal data
We publish the results of our competitions on our website. This includes competitors’ name, club, age group and result.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is stored on our electronic filing system and our servers based in the UK and is accessed by our volunteers for the purposes set out above.
How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with services related to your entries to The World Orienteering Championships 2024. Unless you ask us not to, we will review and possibly delete your personal information where you have not entered our events for 6 years. We will keep certain personal information of participants for longer in order to confirm your identity and when you were a participant. We need to do this in the event of a claim against the The World Orienteering Championships 2024.
You can exercise any of the following rights by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your rights in relation to your personal information are:
- You have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a “subject access request”;
- If you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to request that we correct or complete your personal information;
- You have a right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information for specific purposes; and
- If you wish us to delete your personal information, you may request that we do so.
Any requests received by World Orienteering Championships 2024 will be considered under applicable data protection legislation. If you remain dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
The browsers of most computers, smartphones and other web–enabled devices are typically set up to accept cookies. If you wish to change your cookie preferences for this website or any other websites, you can do so using your browser settings. Your browser’s ‘help’ function will show you how to do this.
We are working on more advanced tools for you to manage the setting of cookies on this website but for now, continued use of this website implies that you are happy for these cookies to be set.
The table below explains the cookies we use and what they do.
|Set by Google analytics.
These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited. Read more about how Google safeguards your data here
Some other cookies may be set by third parties, like YouTube, if for example a video has been embedded in a news item.